If you want to build quilting skills in a particular area, a Block of the Month or Quilt Along can be a fun option. Typically, they focus on a particular style (ex. modern) or type of technique (ex. free motion). It seems that in recent years the number of BOM and QA has grown by leaps and bounds and there are many many choices online, usually free or low cost. Often, there is an option to buy kits but typically there is the choice to use your own fabrics and supplies. There is something for pretty well any interest area. Some of them are mystery projects revealed little by little; others patterns are shared from the beginning of the program.
It is not too late to join one of the myriad of options being offered this year. Here are some to consider. This is just small sample so if nothing here captures your interest, try a Pinterest search for more ideas and give a BOM or QA a try in 2015.
- 2015 Hexie BOM from The Hexie Blog: Celebrating hexagon quilts
- Elephant Parade Quilt Along by Sew Fresh Quilts
- 2015 Sampler BOM at Friendship Star Sisters
- The Sunbonnet Children BOM from Two sisters and a Quilt
- 2015 BOM with Jinny Beyer by Craftsy
- Power of Nine Modern 9 patch Block of the Month
- Arcadia Avenue Quilt Along at Sasafras Lane
- Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt scrappy design from Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville
- 2015 FREE Mystery BOM: Vacation Time by Pat Sloan
- Sampler Block of the Month 2015 at Sew Scrappy
- Dancing Butterfly Quilt Along by Leah Day